Until recently, you may have thought bed bugs were just a myth. We’ve all heard the old nursery rhyme, “Sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite.” We wish we could tell you that it was only a rhyme or a myth, but bed bugs in bed are in the news almost daily now for a reason. Bed bugs in Kansas City have recently experienced a resurgence and have become a real nuisance for Kansas City hotels, college dorms, cruise ships, hospitals, nursing homes, homes and apartments. They’ve even been found on public transportation, such as buses, commuter trains and airplanes. And, they’ve been found in every class of hotel from shady to the most luxurious. (They are often found in resort areas frequented by tourists).
Adult bed bugs in Kansas City are very small, about the size of a tick. In fact, they are often mistaken for ticks or small cockroaches, so we do not always get a call for an infestation as soon as we might like. It is important to call a pest professional right away if you suspect bed bugs so that we can begin treatment immediately. Bed bugs are quite prolific and can multiply rapidly. A Kansas City bed bug infestation requires the assistance of a pest professional and is not something a homeowner can rid on their own. That’s why you have us. We have been specially trained to inspect a room thoroughly for the presence of bed bugs in bed and to target treat the sites where they are located.
If there is any good news about bed bugs in Kansas City, it is this. To date, there has been no disease transmission concerns associated with the blood feeding nature of the bed bug. Some people have reactions to the saliva of the bite of the bed bug, not unlike a bee sting or spider bite reaction. Of course, knowing something is feeding upon you at night does not help one sleep better. If you should have any questions about bed bugs, please feel free to call us, your Kansas City pest professionals.
Call Today, Bed Bug Inspection
Once established in a Kansas City home, bed bugs are difficult to remove. Treatments can be time, labor, and material intensive to truly rid the home of all bed bugs present. The best offense is a strong defense. When you travel, keep these pointers in mind to reduce the risk of your bringing bed bugs home with you.
- When checking into a hotel, inspect your room thoroughly for bed bugs. Look closely for them (or their sig: blood spots) in or behind the headboard of the bed, over the bed, in or behind the picture hanging above the headboard, in the seams of the mattress and box springs. (Bed bugs feed upon human blood at night and are somewhat messy leaving obvious stains behind.)
- Inspect the valet stand or luggage rack thoroughly around the fabric seams to see that there are no bed bugs; after passing your inspection, place your suitcase on the stand and keep it there the entire visit, do not let the suitcase sit on the floor.
- Move your bed away from the wall of the room, and do not let linens touch the floor.
- Check the hangers and rack in the closet before hanging your clothes there.
- Check nightstands and dresser drawers before placing personal items on or inside.
- If you should find bed bugs present, please alert the hotel management that this is the case and that you would like to be moved to another room. Only by informing the management of the bed bugs can they begin to tackle their problem. Hotels are now very up on this issue and will work with you to make your stay pleasant.
- When you return home, unload your suitcase in the garage, or outside on the porch or patio. Check your suitcase and other luggage thoroughly (inside & out) for any signs of bed bug hitchhikers that may have come with you.
- If you should accidentally bring bed bugs home with you, contact us immediately to help rid your home of them.
Got other kinds of bugs? Milberger Pest Control, Inc. has been solving termite and pest control problems in the Kansas City metropolitan area since 1936. We offer same day service in many cases.
All of our technicians are licensed, bonded and insured and provide safe and effective pest elimination. We want to earn your business, which is why our commercial pest control, and residential pest control and termite services in Kansas and Missouri are tailored to your needs and delivered in a timely and friendly way. Our Better Business Bureau A+ rating gives you peace of mind that you will receive the service and results you expect.