The demand for Kansas City pest control gets serious as the weather gets colder. Why? Because of mice or other rodents. Winter makes these destructive pests move indoors. Ask any Kansas City pest control company what they battle most in the winter, and they will tell – 1. Pests and 2. DIY remedies.
Do-it-yourself (DIY) remedies are abundantly available online, making DIY a top search for everything from household maintenance to changing a tire. Go to any search browser and put in “how to get rid of mice” or “rodent traps” or “DIY mouse” and you will find thousands of options. There are articles and videos on how to build traps, herbal mice and rodent repellents, how to seal your home, and electronic devices said to repel rodents by omitting sonic waves.
Everett Milberger Pest Control has been in business since 1936. Although we may be a bit biased because we are a trusted Kansas City pest control company, you can rest assured that hiring a professional is your best option in mice and rodent removal. Some DIY methods work, and some don’t. But when it comes to rodent problems, you don’t want to waste your time on trial and error. The longer it takes you to figure out what works, the more time the mice and rats have to multiply and do damage.
Mice and rats can destroy insulation and chew through wiring. This is dangerous because frayed wires can short the circuits and result in a house fire. Rodents are constantly looking for food and warmth. They get into food storage, chew upholstered furniture, gnaw on wood and destroy documents or precious memories you have stored in attics and basements. Worst part is, rodents leave behind urine and droppings that can contaminate your home.
Kansas City Pest Control and the Problems That Rodents Can Cause
Not all rodents are the same. There are different types of rodents in the Midwest, and each species or type has different patterns and immunities. Not all invade homes or damage property. There is no one rodent removal solution. This is why, some DIY methods work and others don’t. Well, that and there are some methods that would not work on any rodent and could be more harmful to your family than the mouse. For instance: Putting used kitty litter or ammonia throughout your house. Ammonia is toxic and who wants urine and fecal matter lying about?
Pros & Cons: DIY vs Hiring a Professional
DIY pest control and professional Kansas City pest control use a lot of the same methods and there are upsides and downsides to each. Instead of listing the hundreds of DIY rodent control methods and explaining what may or may not work on each one, in comparison to professional pest control methods, we shall share the pros and cons of DIY vs professional pest control.
Pros of DIY Rodent Control:
- For small infestations, DIY methods cost less than hiring a pest control company. Traps and poisons are easily obtainable online or in local stores.
- Since many of the DIY methods are similar to what professionals use. It is easier now for homeowners to implement effective rodent control and removal methods.
- You have more control of what products you’re using. That means you can choose those that are safer for your family and pets.
Cons of DIY Rodent Control:
- DIY methods do not last as long, causing constant upkeep and a lot of trial and error. Repeat purchasing of baits, traps, etc.… can get costly.
- Homeowners lack knowledge of rodent species and habits. Rodents can get into your home using different entry point and each species may require a unique bait or trapping method.
- While you try various methods, the rodent population in your home grows. Without proper species identification, removal methods won’t be as effective. This makes for months of costs and frustration.
Pros of Hiring a Kansas City Pest Control Company:
- When the infestation has gotten serious and/or property damage is occurring, a professional is able to use stronger chemicals to kill off any unwanted pests. or give more thorough applications when an infestation is serious.
- An experienced rodent control professional can not only help you remove the rodents but can also help you prevent them from returning. They know how to identify entry points and create barriers.
- Pest control professionals know where to bait/trap for the most effective eradication of the infestation.
Cons of Hiring a Kansas City Pest Control Company:
- Professional services can be more expensive.
- Professional pest control usually uses the harshest chemicals and methods which might not always be ideal for your family or pets.
- Scheduling their services for when you can be available can pose challenges.
There are pros and cons for each side. This may come down to a simple matter of evaluating your situation and choosing the approach that works best for you. We agree, not all pests require an expert Kansas City pest control company to get the job done effectively.
When you decide you need a professional, Everett Milberger Pest Control is here for you. We’ve been around since 1936 because our products and staff get results. We train, certify, and bond our exterminators so you receive professional results and excellent customer service every time, no matter who assists you. You can choose us with confidence.
Leave a Comment