Pest Control in the winter may sound unnecessary but it is actually very important! When it is cold, pests move underground OR inside and hide, but that doesn’t mean they are inactive. The truth is, not all crawling insects and other pests (like rodents) go dormant in the winter. Most use your home as a breeding ground. They bring other pest in to snuggle, looking for warmth.
Let’s look at the top 4 reasons why Milberger Pest Control is essential during the cold weather months:
1. Mice and rats. Mice and rats require only a tiny opening or crack to enter your home. They can enter through your attic and gnaw on the wires, wood beams, electrical wires and insulation. Over-the-counter traps and poisons could harm you, children or your pets. A professional can locate and treat the source, as well as find points of entry and seal them up tight.
2. Wood destroying insects. Carpenter ants and termites destroy the home from the inside out, so you see the damage after it occurs. Termites and carpenter ants may be nesting inside walls, floors or decaying wood and only a professional can find them.
3. Dormant insects
. Many insects will hide in the attic or basement in late fall and early winter to escape the frigid winter temperatures. Spiders, cluster flies, Asian lady bugs and boxelder bugs will remain dormant until spring. Then as the weather warms, they can easily find their way into your living spaces. By hiring Milberger to apply a preventative treatment
in these key hiding spots, it will repel insects as the weather warms.
4. Spider webs and nests. Removing webs, nests and egg cases may help prevent pests from reemerging in your home when the weather becomes warmer. Some creatures are hardwired to return to certain places, but if you get rid of all the reasons for them to return, you increase the probability that you’ll finally be saying a permanent “goodbye” to them.
Of course, there are things you can do on your own, without professional pest control.
· Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
· Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home.
· Keep storage areas well organized, and store boxes off of the floor.
· Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
· Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens in windows.
· Screen vents to chimneys.
· Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
Residents of Kansas and Missouri are accustomed to the vastly different seasons we experience. Something to note: drastic changes in weather can occasionally wreak havoc on our homes. Cracks in the foundation are the perfect place for pests to make their way into your warm, inviting home. We cannot assume that the pest control efforts last year or in years past were enough. Exterior and interior spaces must be checked and maintained with every changing season.
Milberger’ Pest Control provides commercial and residential services tailored to the property’s individual needs. In the winter, we focus primarily on the interior of the building, searching for any openings where pests could enter or places where they can hide. We inform you when we find areas for concern, eliminate pests and provide you with a detailed inspection report, outlining the things that they’ve observed and if applicable, an action plan moving forward.
The cold has just hit Kansas City…NOW is the time to schedule your winter inspection and have Milberger Pest Control start ridding your home or office of pests. Call Milberger Pest Control
at (816) 761-1313 in MO and (913) 384-6760 in KS.
Leave a Comment